The critically acclaimed, multi-award winning action spectacle including Academy Award winner for Best Cinematography arrives on Digital March 10, 2020 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD March 24, 2020 from Universal Pictures Home Entertainment. Hailed as “One of the most extraordinary cinematic achievements of the year” (JoBlo), the universally acclaimed film combines groundbreaking film making, memorable performances, and an unforgettable insight into the human experience against the shattering background of war. Additionally an Oscar winner for Best Visual Effects and Best Sound Mixing, 1917 is “a new war movie classic” (NY Post).
In 1917 at the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (MacKay) and Blake (Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers—Blake’s own brother among them. 1917 comes to Digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD with bonus content showcasing the incredible craft and artistry behind the immersive feature, including a detailed look into the production design, how the film engineered a one shot, 360-degree format and interviews with the cast and crew.
In 1917, Academy Award-winning director Sam Mendes brings his Golden Globe and BAFTA award-winning directorial performance to a script co-written alongside Krysty Wilson-Cairns. The film stars breakout actors George Mackay and Dean-Charles Chapman. Accompanying Mackay and Chapman are standout performances by Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch. The film was produced by Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne-Ann Tenggren, Callum McDougall and Brian Oliver.
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY, DVD & DIGITAL:
- The Weight of the World: Sam Mendes – Academy Award® winner Sam Mendes discusses his personal connection to World War 1.
- Allied Forces: Making 1917 – Learn how the one shot, 360-degree format was executed and the pivotal role Academy Award® winner Roger Deakins served in bringing Sam Mendes’ vision to life.
- The Music of 1917 – Composer Thomas Newman and filmmakers discuss the important role of the Academy Award®-nominated score.
- In The Trenches – Go behind the scenes with the cast of 1917.
- Recreating History – Filmmakers offer a detailed look at the production design challenges of recreating the First World War.
- Feature Commentary with Director/Co-Writer Sam Mendes.
- Feature Commentary with Director of Photography Roger Deakins.